IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor-1) and HGH (human growth hormone) are hormones that play complicated roles in aging. The relationship between the two is that GH is secreted by your pituitary gland, which stimulates IGF-1 production by action on your liver where it’s made. This close relationship between HGH and IGF-1 causes many to fuse the two.
IGF-1 actually mediates the growth-promoting effects most of us associate with HGH because it stimulates the proliferation, growth, and survival of cells. HGH possesses some extra advantages (general rejuvenation of the body, the skin becomes smoother, the hair grows quicker, and a lot more) which are absent with IGF-1. IGF-1 is used where more performance driven goals like maximizing growth and maintaining muscle and neurons are desired. IGF-1 has immediate effects, whereas HGH has a longer loading period.
Facts About IGF-1 and HGH
- IGF-1 plays a key role in promoting and maintaining your muscle mass and neuro function.
- A 30-60 minute sauna session increases HGH by 140 percent.
- A person can adapt to the strenuous activity and not experience a decrease in HGH over time.
- Exercise can encourage growth hormone release and thus IGF-1.
- Exercised-induced neurogenesis is mediated through IGF-1 induced during exercise.
- IGF-1 acts as a neurotrophic factor in the brain, contributing to the growth of new brain cells and the survival of existing neurons.
- IGF-1 is released in response to HGH. It is anabolic promoting growth and repairing skeletal muscle.
- The process of HGH release in response to exercise is proportional to how strenuous the activity is.
Types of IGF-1 and HGH
IGF-1 is a compounded medication and is made by compounding pharmacies. There are two forms of IGF-1, a long-acting version, and a short-acting version. HGH is a commercially produced medication with different brand names (e.g., Norditropin, Omnitrope, Genotropin, Nutropin). Both hormones are available as a subcutaneous injection.
Benefits of IGF-1
IGF-1 is highly linked to optimal sugar use in the body, which can make it a powerful component in your efforts to lose weight. When properly administered, it can aid in the weight loss process.
IGF-1 is also known for its ability to increase muscle mass. It can help in increasing the development of lean muscle body tissue, which will also help smooth out or help improve the shape of users. This means that there will be body composition shifts. The pounds won’t melt off; you will gradually appear leaner because muscle development is balanced.
How IGF-1 Can Affect You
IGF-1 alone won’t result in weight loss but can help in lean muscle development. However, incorporating IGF-1 alongside a balanced diet together with increased cardiovascular and resistance workouts will result in faster weight loss over time.
IGF-1 is not promoted as a weight loss tool. Weight loss is a side effect of IGF-1 use. When using IGF-1 more lean muscle mass is developed, more energy contributes to better workouts, and improved recovery times allow less time between workouts.
Healthy Use of IGF-1
Including IGF-1 as a part of a healthy, balanced diet plan, can help in shift body composition and therefore affect metabolism. When your body is burning more calories and developing additional lean muscle mass, it is likely that increased weight loss in a shorter period will happen.